
ICANN69 | Community Days Sessions – At-Large Regional Leaders Meeting
Thursday, October 15, 2020 – 14:00 to 15:30 CEST

MICHELLE DESMYTER: Hello and welcome to the At-Large Regional Leaders Meeting. My name is Michelle DeSmyter and I am the remote participation manager for this session. Please note that this session is being recorded and follows the ICANN expected standards of behavior. During this session, questions or comments submitted in chat will only be read allowed if put in the proper form as I've noted in the chat. I will read questions and comments allowed during the time set by the chair or moderator of this session.

Interpretation for this session will include Spanish and French and will be conducted using both Zoom and the remote simultaneous interpretation platform operated by Congress Rental Network.

Attendees are encouraged to download the Congress Rental Network by following instructions in the Zoom chat or from the meeting details document available on the meeting website page.

If you would like to ask your question or make your comment verbally, please raise your hand. When called upon, kindly unmute your microphone and take the floor. Please state your name for the record and the language you will speak if speaking a language other than English.

Please also speak clearly and at a reasonable pace to allow for accurate interpretation. Please mute your microphone when you are

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

done speaking. When speaking, be sure to mute all other devices including the Congress Rental Network Application.

With this, I will hand the floor over to Sebastien Bachollet.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you very much, Michelle. I would like to welcome all the participants, but specifically the RALO leaders, the GSC team, and the At-Large supporting team, and also any other participant welcome.

I will not read the agenda as you have all the chance to get through it, and as at the end we will be short of time I prefer to go to the first item. But if you wish to add any items or suggest any addition, we will have some time at any other business at the end.

Please feel free to raise your hand. It must be a conversation and not just one talk. And yes use language services, too. It's great tools and it's very useful for people who are far from English users, closer to you and your knowledge. Thank you.

The first item is item number 3, if we can jump to this one. It's to have feedback on ... I'm not sure that it's the slide for the meeting. Never mind. The first item is first feedback on the two previous sessions—three previous sessions—we had today. If Amrita is here ... Amrita, if you are here, I would like to give you a chance to give your feedback on your session but I'm not sure that you are yet here.

SATISH BABU: Amrita is not on the call, I think.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay. Satish, do you want to give us first feedback on the last session about community engagement?

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Sebastien. Yes, I will very quickly do that. So, when we designed this session, the choice was between having time for a little more deeper look into what the regions are doing versus [inaudible] very short interventions and highlight the various different diverse things that have been done so that there could be, as somebody mentioned in the chat earlier, cross-pollination of ideas from region to region.

So, we thought rather than have deeper interventions, we will have really brief quick sharing of what we've been doing and that is what we have done in the previous session.

So, apart from one or two people who probably felt that the time was too limited, the session did serve its purpose.

So, from here, I think what needs to be done is, from what I could gather from the chat, the participants were pretty happy about the session and the fact that they could get to hear what others were doing, although not in great depth. So, perhaps, if people are interested, we can have a follow-up at a later stage on those kinds of ideas that need more depth.

Sebastien, you mentioned about the newsletter, if there could be some ore kind of a common planning for the newsletter, which I think is a great idea. That’s another action point we can [inaudible]. Thank you very much and back to you, Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you, Satish. Definitely I feel it was a very good session and lots of diversity, different points of view, different people in the front places. We have a lot to take from this session and I hope that the right group will take care of that. And yes some of the items you raised are good, too—the action items for the future. Any others who want to say something about this session?

If not, first I want to thank Leon for coming to say hello. Hello, Leon. Thank you for coming. You are always welcome in our meetings. I will give the floor to Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. It was just to mention that the meeting with Amrita, the meeting that we were just talking about, I found it very invigorating. It was very refreshing to hear various snippets of information which made the session go very fast.

So, I think at least we should do something like this once a year just to refresh what we’re doing and remember where we are coming from. I thank Amrita and everybody in charge of putting the session together. I found it very good. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you very much, Eduardo. If I don't see any other hands, I would like to go to the same item but talk about roundtable. I will share my screen to give you one feedback. I need to get on the right slide, I'm sorry.

I wanted to show you the result of the pool at the end of the discussion because I think it could be interesting. This one I know the number of on-site was 73 and people were supposed to take the top three among the following item, and at the end, we went with multi-stakeholder governance for 58% and you can see the other. The second items was Internet governance [inaudible] digital sovereignty and you can see the other, the multi-stakeholder governance model is also one of the top priorities I guess for the people to participate to this meeting.

It was interesting to have a good turnover, [inaudible] of the two sessions and of course we could speak our interesting point of view. Thank you. If you have any other people who want to talk, I will be happy to give you the floor. I will stop to ... Okay, Satish, please.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Sebastien. I have a suggestion for the agenda. When Maureen started the early session, she had introduced the changes to the ALAC team as one of the first things that she shared with us. I wonder if we can take two minutes to share what are the leadership changes in the five RALOs, if you can do that sometime in the next 90 minutes. Thank you very much.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Satish. I guess at what time we'll have time to talk and maybe it will be a good time to do it. Marita, please

MARITA MOLL: Hello. I just wanted to share that I did really enjoy Sebastien's two sessions, the ones that [he chaired] [inaudible]. I thought it was a really great example of how we can do—and I think he mentioned it at the beginning [inaudible] a bit of silo busting, getting people together to just share small snippets of information, to share their thoughts on things. It's a rare opportunity to really have people from all sorts of stakeholder communities in the same session. That is definitely a model I think that maybe should be taken more. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Marita. Any other talk, speakers, interventions? If not, let's go to ... Seun, sorry, go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Can you hear me?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay, yeah.

SEUN OJEDEJI: As usual, we also have our session. I believe that's on the agenda or is it before I continue?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Go ahead, no problem.

SEUN OJEDEJI: We held our ICANN African AFRALO session and [inaudible] I think it was well attended, considering the time that it was aired. I was kind of much more at the time that's pretty much the region so I think it was well attended on some level and we had quite a number of participation.

One of the major things of discussion was, within the region, there's a group which we call the AfriCANN which is the Africa community within ICANN discussion about trying to formalize a group and trying to see what [inaudible] evolve beyond [inaudible] was one of the things we discussed. I think it was a good discussion and of course [inaudible] participate from the regions as well. Thanks.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Seun. Anyone else? Okay. Seun, may I ask you to keep the floor and to give a short summary of some RALO activities, if you wish, in addition to what was already said in the previous meeting? But if you have some specificity, it would be great. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you. This is Seun for the record once more. In terms of activities, we could not [inaudible] last meeting, monthly meeting. I think there was some miscommunication within some staff on when the meeting was going to hold or on what night it was going to be held. So we couldn't hold that meeting. I think it's next month.

But other activities, we have [inaudible] which is still ongoing. We're trying to review the individual membership session of the rules. That is still ongoing at the moment. [inaudible] recognize that is an ALAC group that is also working on the same topic. I think—

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Seun, you're muted.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Seun, we can't hear you anymore.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Now I wonder where you stopped hearing me. This is Suen for the record. We recently published our newsletter—our quarterly newsletter—and of course I encourage all of our members of the

region to actually take a look at the newsletter where we capture. We also introduced what we called the interviews this time around where we also we be following up with that going forward to interview one or two people from the community to actually hear their point of view on certain topics.

The other updates that I think I want maybe to mention is our outreach and engagement strategy. What we're trying to do is we're trying to form a working team, and of course the working team will then see the implementation of certain aspects of the strategy. That is ongoing and of course our [inaudible] is that [inaudible] part of the strategy.

We would be [inaudible] on the outreach and engagement person from our reach, a co-chair, which is [Fatimata]. She will be really good to [inaudible] ICANN69. So we'll soon be expecting to add a replacement for that seat. I was the chair of outreach and engagement. I tried to [inaudible] the process of that.

I think that is all from my head. And of course, if there are questions, I an answer. Thanks.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Seun. Satish, please?

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Sebastien. Continuing with what I mentioned in the previous session about the policy forum, we are looking for this new

mechanism to ensure that we are able to bring in policy inputs from the ALSes and the individual members and we are very hopeful that this is going to be an interesting initiative for APRALO.

The other activities that I'd like to mention are the following. One is the ROP review. We had started off on the review of rules of procedure. Then we had the ALS mobilization work coming up led by Alan. So we thought we will hold on to our [inaudible] until the final report from the ALS mobilization process is over so that we could use the output of that process into our review.

We are also looking expectantly at Roberto's team work on the [inaudible] members which we also think is very key to restructuring our future in terms of the [inaudible] member activities because we would like to focus on individual members also because we do have still some countries where there are no ALSes and there may not be in the near future but we are hopeful of sourcing individual members from these countries. If you [inaudible] participation for the [inaudible] members, then the lack of ALSes will not hold us back. So that is the other thing that we are looking forward to, which is Roberto's report.

We are collaborating with all or digital partners, including [APIGF] and DotAsia and so on. We have just launched a mentoring program. it is [inaudible] from the policy forum and this is going to be led by outgoing vice chair, Ali.

Finally, as far as the elections are concerned, we have the outgoing vice chair. We have two vice chairs. Ali is now outgoing and Nadira is

coming in as a replacement in the last election. Lianna continues as the other vice chair. Amrita continues on the NomCom. And I have been reelected as the chair of APRALO for another two-year term. So this is the changes as far as the leadership team is concerned.

Thanks very much and back to you, Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Satish, and congratulations for your election or the next two years as the chair of APRALO. NARALO, Eduardo, please.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Sebastien. This is Eduardo here for the record. I just wanted to add a little bit more for what I said in the previous meeting in the things that we're doing during our NARALO meetings for increasing engagement with the membership. I just wanted to let you know that we have a presentation by Marita Moll on the multi-stakeholderism issue within ICANN, just to make sure people understand what's there. A great presentation by Marita.

We had on the EPDP. We did a post mortem about what worked, what didn't work, what was the whole EPDP about. And that was done by Alan. It was a very good discussion there.

I just wanted to mention we will have, November and December we will have a very interesting presentations about domainers. We're going to have a presentation by one of our members on the view of domainers from the user's perspective. And on the flip coin, in

December we will have domainers talking about the domain business so people can balance the views from both sides.

Then, starting in January and going forward, we are going to concentrate more on DNS abuse issues, on the internationalized domain names and other things that are being discussed on the CPWGs so people are more aware of DNS abuse and we can get people more involved with that issue.

Judith can add to this if I'm missing something. Thank you, Sebastien.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes, hi. So, I wanted to also add. I don't know if people were here for the earlier session where Eduardo said we had switched off monthly meetings from forms and processing and trying to do outreach to engagement and capacity building. And in that vein, we've also been encouraging, besides the sessions we've been running for the monthly meeting, we've been encouraging people to get involved with both the operations, planning, and finance working groups and the CPWG because both of these groups are doing policy discussions and the operations planning is doing the multi-stakeholder discussions that Marita Moll is leading as well as any planning on budgeting and finance and that work.

So we are encouraging people to come and be active on that and we're trying to use this as metrics to try to get people to be active, not only in the monthly meeting instead of only using that as a method. We're also using how often they attend these policy working groups

and we're trying to get more people to work on policy development processes. So, I would love to add that to that session. Thanks.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you both Eduardo and Judith. May I give the floor to Sergio? Por Favor, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I will speak in Spanish. So, please give me a second because I have to turn off the audio from the CRN app.

Okay. So, we have been working during all these months in certain topics that are related to universal acceptance. On the one hand, we have gone deeper into that work, and in the meeting with Amrita, Sylvia Herelein certainly showed a way ahead in UA issues.

We can clearly, with the review of our rules of procedure, there has been a major step forward because now we have the operating principles and the rules of procedure that are up and running, both of them.

And now in the LACRALO Governance Working Group we are working on a document regarding metrics, another document that will be related on how to get more individual participants—individual members—in the region.

And finally, we would have the Council of the Elders or Council of Merits. We don't know the title yet but we are discussing this document. So we have people allocated to each working group to

work on these documents. We have 11 individual members right now so we are working with them so as to encourage them to participate more in LACRALO, to participate in the working groups and we have found two different things.

On the one hand, we have some things that are related to the practice of Internet and some other issues or topics that—I don't know how to say it but let's say we are working on the resources or of the proceeds of the next auctions perhaps are not appealing enough to participate in the given working group, perhaps when we talk about universal acceptance, DNS abuse, these are things that certainly are more appealing or the people in the region show more interest in these topics.

Together with the GSE in our region, we have been working on capacity building. With respect to capacity building, I may say that in the last few months, four webinars have been held—four or five, really. I don't remember exactly but it was four or five webinars. And what is really important is that the capacity building working groups try to expand the knowledge in the region. This is not from an [inaudible] point of view.

The idea is that they may have knowledge enough so as to participate and produce informal comments. Many times, certainly, we discuss some things and we really do not know exactly where they come from. We do not have any background and the idea is to provide that background, to provide that knowledge.

We have identified some gaps and so we are trying to reach those gaps with capacity building.

We also published a first newsletter. The Communications Team has a new leader. Lilian DeLuque is no longer the leader of this Communication Working Group. Now [Marcello Rodriguez] is the leader of that group. He is from Argentina. And even though ... Lilian is working in the working group but is not leading the group. So even though she is no longer the leader, there's quite a structure there to go on with the work that she started. The first newsletter has been published and the second newsletter will be published soon.

There was an important proposal in the last meeting, so that those in charge of communication will try and work better and enhance and improve everything that's been around in the region.

This is it on my part. Thank you very much for your attention.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much. Satish [inaudible] will give the changes in the leaders. The RALO leaders, as we have decided, to not take this at the time during this meeting to have a EURALO General Assembly. We postponed that to replace the first monthly meeting after this ICANN69 and it will be around the 7th of November, and if there is any change, it will be at that time.

As you know, NomCom representative now from Europe is Bastiaan Goslings who used to be ALAC member. The ALAC member replacing Bastiaan Gosling is Joanna Kulesza who was already an ALAC member

but coming from the NomCom. And the NomCom have chosen Pari Esfandiari. I am very proud of that and I thank the NomCom. It's the only new person in the all range of people they have chosen to be a leader in ICANN. It seems to be very strange for the number of seats we have we were able just to find one new person who were not participating to ICANN before. But that's coming in Europe and that's not too bad.

We are doing things but I try also to stop some of the possible activity. For example, we didn't start the EURALO rules of procedure because I consider that we have too much on our table, too much meetings, too much things to do. Therefore, if we can postpone, it will be better or it will be good. Of course we will wait for the individual member organization but we are sure that it will be well [handled] as chair of this working group is also the chair of the Individual User Association for EURALO and that's great. And we have people from Europe participating to [inaudible] topic.

As we are late, I will stop here. If there are no hands up, I will go to the item. And the next item is Sylvia and some GSE people to talk about At-Large regional policy engagement program. Thank you. I give you the floor.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE:

Hello, Sebastien. Hello, everyone. This is Sylvia. I will present this point. A warm welcome to everyone at this session. I will present the At-Large regional policy engagement program. You see the Wiki page on the screen.

In our team, we recognize that collaboration among us, staff, and the community, is more important than ever in reaching the goals of the community, especially now in view of the challenges brought up by the worldwide pandemic.

The community is growing and continues growth in a number of ALSes and individuals is predicted to increase for the next seven years. So a plan is needed to ensure the engagement of the community in ICANN's regional work and continued participation in policy advice.

So this program wants to encourage a joint approach to At-Large community membership management from onboarding, mentoring, capacity building and actual participation of ALSes, individuals, and fellows.

Throughout the years, we have worked consistently in coordination with our GSE colleagues. However, we realize that we need to take our interactions to the next level and make it more fluid and more systemic. So therefore, we launched this program aiming at leveraging the synergies between our regional VPs from GSE, ICANN regional offices, At-Large staff, the RALO leadership teams, and ATLAS III ambassadors.

All of these actors play a very important role in participation in At-Large community. Therefore, last year—actually the last time we met in person with our regional VPs—we held in Montreal a brainstorming session where we came up with some ideas to increase our collaboration. The official rollout of this program was in April 2020 and we are already achieving some early success that we can pull it out.

We held individual calls with the regional leaders of the five RALOs, the GSE VPs, At-Large staff, and these calls helped us to put in coordination the regional outreach and engagement plans from the RALOs, taking into account the ICANN regional strategies and the post ATLAS III activities. So now, these RALO outreach and engagement plans are in synch with ICANN regional and strategic goals.

The RALOs have also played a very important role in the formulation of ICANN's fiscal year 21-25 regional strategies and they have submitted comments to such strategies.

In this meeting at ICANN69 there were two roundtables in collaboration with our GSE colleagues in Europe and we will continue of course building on and improving the already existing collaboration which includes advice from the regional VPs on all ALS applications. The regional VPs also approved the RALO outreach and engagement strategies which are required for [inaudible]. The RALO members also participate, as I said, in the formulation of ICANN's regional strategies. And they also participate in activities such as outreach, capacity building, regional road shows. And we will continue collaborating with our GSE colleagues and consulting on ad hoc basis on regional issues.

So, this is what is ongoing at the moment and we are really grateful and thankful for the great collaboration and this will continue to strengthen.

As we realize that we must act as a cohesive team to achieve the best result for the stakeholder journey, to make it more effective and smoother for effective participation.

So these are the highlights of the program and the Wiki page that you see on the screen we keep up to date and we are adding when we have more activities that we are coordinating together.

These are the main highlights of this program, and with this, unless Heidi has any additional comment, I will turn it back to you Sebastien. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Sylvia. Anyone want to take the floor? Questions or comments? Heidi, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much for that, Sylvia. So, this page is an open page. It's an open Wiki that is on the cross-RALO workspace. It's also, in addition, for all of you regional leaders to have a one-stop area for you to coordinate your cross-RALO activities. It's also useful for your members of your RALOs, the At-Large Structures and the individuals to take a look at this page, see what's going on across regions.

Also, Michelle, if you could scroll all the way to them—and we'll be updating this as we end the AGM. These are all, again, all the regional leaders—all the way down, yeah. Then, in addition, it also has the GSE liaisons and regional vice presidents listed and your At-Large support staff listed.

So, again, for any kind of newcomers who would like to see who their leaders are, who their GSE liaisons or regional vice presidents are or

even who their At-Large support staff are, it's all noted right here. So it's a way to allow people—newcomers—to understand how to engage more effectively in their region. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Heidi. Satish, please.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Sebastien. We, as RALOs, have not seriously started doing joint RALO programs. Meaning, two RALOs join hands on a single program. It was I think discussed earlier today as one of the post-COVID responses, given the fact that outreach is limited. So if you're going to plan this kind of joint RALO program, I think this website, the key would be very useful for us to do that because it brings together all the five RALOs. Thanks very much.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Satish. And it will be item number seven that we will talk that in more detail today. Thank you. Any other comments? If not, let's go to the next item and I will leave Chris Mondini to lead this session. We are supposed to do it together, but please now we both need to hear a new voice, not mine anymore. Go ahead.

CHRIS MONDINI: Hi, everybody. Chris Mondini speaking for the record. Thanks, Sebastien. I am representing regional vice presidents because we are here virtually in the European region with our Hamburg meeting and

I'm actually going to pass the mic or give the floor to Adam Peake. He's undertaken pretty thorough analysis and survey of my counterparts around the world and of course is very familiar with activities in Europe. So, Adam, may I ask you to please present your report? Thanks.

ADAM PEAKE:

Thank you, Chris. Thank you, Sebastien. Hello, everybody. So, what you see on the screen is a collation of discussions that we've had amongst the regions—the GSE regions—and this is input that I'll discuss now. So I'll talk for about five minutes to this and then we can go on for your questions and comments and interactions with the VPs who I think are almost all here on the call. I had a quick look earlier. So, let me start this.

I will say that we'll carry on this discussion in a little bit more detail with the outreach and engagement working group on the next session. So, let's begin. And I think it also follows on from Sylvia's comments, so thanks for those.

If you look at the first bullet, what we're really talking about is the work that the GSE regions have done with the RALOs, the RALO leadership and At-Large to bring in your contributions to the FY21-25 strategic plan and this is of course a core issue for the whole organization. It's our strategy for the next five years and the contributions have been excellent. And I think this is an important thing to note about these organization ICANN-wide contributions that the RALOs are making.

So, what we're seeing, for example, is that in LACRALO, there are two seats for the RALO on the LAC Strategy Council. APRALO is including the RALO in the drafting of the APAC regional plan and contribution to the strategic plan. Members in the Middle East region have been contributing to the regional plan again and also moving that forward into the overall strategic plan and the RALO has been contributing into the public comment phase. In Africa, AFRALO has contributed again on the strategic planning process.

So, this is important. It's critical at the organizational wide level and it's an important collaboration that you guys bring into this process.

The second part is more working directly with the RALOs on the planning process, both for the regional plans and for the RALO's regional outreach and engagement plans and that of course has traditionally included things like CROP which is a mandated role for the GSE RALO engagement but it's also becoming something where I think we're seeing these regional engagement plans, the strategies for the RALOs, becoming much more of a living doc. So instead of just being a one-off document that we develop, then the collaboration allows this process to continue through the year. So we're seeing a sort of evolution of the collaboration here and that's particularly important that we're actually making things more of a relationship rather than sort of stop-starts.

We of course try to contribute in the RALO calls from the regions and contributing to newsletters. And again I've heard this on previous At-

Large sessions about the importance of contributing information and material. So that's something that's also ongoing I think in all regions.

There's been an increased inclusion of RALOs into the GSE regional activities. As I mentioned, LACRALO, we have membership of the LAC strategy group and that's a high-level activity. The Middle East space, I know there's a lot of the space concepts that go on in the GSE regions. In the Middle East space, it's actually led by two ALAC RALO leaders, which is Nadira and Tijani, so thanks to them. This is really where the regional community comes together and holds its discussions. So it's great to see the RALO leadership taking a very active role in that.

We see, for example, as we've gone online particularly, AFRALO are still contributing very significantly to the African Internet Summit which is the most important Internet meeting for the continent. So they have a very significant role in that. And that's an important collaboration.

In Europe, I think the session this morning with Sebastien supporting your work in organizing that session is probably a good example as well.

And we try and invite, when we hold sessions, particularly in the days when we were holding sessions face-to-face, we were trying to invite At-Large members into those sessions, and again in Europe I can think of an excellent example with Joanna who is probably just about the best moderator of sessions I know and that is a particular skill that is really very excellent. But this kind of activity is common across the regions and increasing it across the regions.

The sixth bullet is really talking about collaboration with ALS. I gave an example of that in a previous session with Amrita, that Save in the Pacific has long had the habit of when he's going to one of the countries in his region will let the ALS in that country know that he's coming weeks in advance. If he's speaking at an event, then he'll let them know what the event is. Are they also speaking? Do they have representatives of their organization there? Do they want to attend that meeting? And then trying to organize side meetings.

And this is something that I think we can look at as an activity to take forward, particularly if it's a good fit with the ALS mobilization activity. How can we help you mobilize the ALS? And it would help us bring more knowledge and expertise into our processes. So there's a good mutual win-win there I think.

The last point is about read-out sessions, both read-outs after ICANN meetings and prep meetings. We're seeing more and more read-outs across the region. The example that I particularly want to highlight here is [inaudible] in the Eastern Europe and Central Asia region where he's bringing in both At-Large members from APRALO and from EURALO into his processes because that region overlaps with the RALO structures. And this is something that we'd like to see develop. There are already read-outs in APAC and LAC, North America.

Particularly in Europe, for example, we have the idea that Sebastien, you and EURALO, can be the convening body, the multi-stakeholder body for the region and you'll have a natural role to convene the other ICANN community members, SO/AC representatives of our region, to

bring them together in the read-out, so that they can contribute. But I think there may be a role, being the role of At-Large can extend because you have a remit that is less siloed I think than some of the others, to go back to a point that was made in the EURALO session this morning.

And of course we're also working on national and regional IGFs with the At-Large members, Internet governance schools which I know have also been mentioned.

Now, one bullet that's not on there and it probably should be because it's been emphasized so much is capacity building. And this is really a question of what can we do more? Sergio mentioned the webinars recently in LACRALO but is there expertise within the GSE team that we can bring and help you in terms of content for the webinars and so on? Is there other expertise across the ICANN Org? is there other expertise across the other supporting organizations and advisory groups? Is there external expertise that we could bring in? So that's really my last point.

I hope I've been clear enough running through these bullets. And now perhaps we can talk, open this up for questions. The VPs are all here I think, so we can have a discussion going into more detail and there will also be the opportunity with the outreach and engagement group in the next session to take this forward. I hope this has been helpful and thank you very much. Look forward to hearing your comments.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Adam. Chris, you run the show or you want me to do it?

CHRIS MONDINI: I'm happy for you to do it if there's time, as you're the time keeper.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yeah. We have three or four minutes. Satish, it's an old hand but I am sure that you have something to say.

SATISH BABU: No, it's an old hand. Sorry.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay. Anyone else want to take the floor? Adam, I want to thank you because I think it's a very comprehensive presentation and we have a lot to do and a lot to do together and that will be great.

I just want to caution one thing. Yes, I wanted to do without session that [inaudible] ICANN68 and I don't know how it will fit this time because you take that after the ICANN meeting, we have two, three, four weeks of the global IGF and we have the IGF in some countries—in France, particularly—and it will go from one day to different sessions. Therefore, to find a spot where we can do something specifically it's harder and harder because [inaudible], it's important but easy to organize a meeting with Zoom. Maybe then everybody is trying to do its own session. But I am sure that we will find a way in our different regions to push this idea of [inaudible] session in different place and in

different languages. I am sure that it will work. And thank you for the other inputs.

Anyone from the GSE team, the chair of the RALOs, want to add something? If not, I was talking about IGF 2020 and I wanted to give the floor to both Natalia and Joanna to tell us where we are. Maybe first Joanna about where we are with the IGF. I know that everybody needs to know what is happening, but as I am not sure, please give us a short feedback on where and how it's organized. And Natalia, if you can help us with [inaudible] will try to participate, that would be great. Thank you.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Great. Thank you, Sebastien. I'm trying to speak at a reasonable pace. Thank you very much. The IGF indeed was supposed to come to [inaudible]. I regret wholeheartedly that is not the case. We will be meeting virtually this year. I know that we, as At-Large, have organized around setting up a spreadsheet that introduces the sessions that welcome At-Large members. I am not going to go into details. If there is a need from any of the participants for us to provide details on which sessions will welcome At-Large or ICANN community members, just let us know and we're happy to do that.

I'm going to stick to more of a general introduction. The IGF will be held online virtually. The details in terms of a specific platform and details for logging in are yet to come but the schedule has already been published.

I know that many of my At-Large and ICANN community colleagues will be participating both as moderators, as panelists, as members of the IGF community in that meeting. A vast array of issues will be discussed. I know that ICANN Org is hosting quite a few panels as well.

So, in that sense, it looks like more Zoom meetings for us. I'm very much look forward to seeing everyone again. I'm enjoying this. Even though we're only meeting on Zoom, I appreciate all the [inaudible] that are going on and I appreciate the opportunity to see you guys.

However, the Polish traditional famous Polish hospitality will hopefully be able to welcome you. You will be able to enjoy it. And next year 2021, again in a couple of weeks, where the full format of the IGF will happen, I'm hoping to be able to host you here in a couple of weeks and beyond in Poland in the coming year.

In that sense the IGF is happening this year online in somewhat of a restricted format. Less sessions all held online across quite a few days. I encourage you to look into the detailed scheduled. Thank you very much our wonderful support team for displaying the table I was referring to.

So, I look forward to seeing you on Zoom or any other platform that might be of choice of the organizers and then welcoming you next year to [inaudible] where hopefully we will get a chance to meet face-to-face.

I'm going to stop here, Sebastien. If there are any specific details that are important for our session and I might have missed them please be

sure to let me know. I'm equally happy to answer any questions. But for the sake of time, I would like to stop here. Thank you very much.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Joanna. Thank you for your information about global IGF 2020 in virtual Poland. May I ask Natalia, give us a short brief where she thinks we need to be involved in. Thank you.

NATALIA FILINA: Thank you very much, Sebastien; and thank you, Joanna, for your invitation. Yes, we are now preparing for the IGF 2020 but it is very different from the last year. Now we will focus on the session that our members—At-Large members—will participate in and we will try to inform our community about the schedule in social media with details, as Joanna mentioned.

If we will have a success—so I hope to engage people to be reporters and to do short summaries from these sessions for At-Large, it will be great. We have an idea and I hope we will do that. We would like to organize a [flash] session on the virtual ICANN booths as last year but a little bit different. So I think it's [inaudible]. We'll see how it will be, and yes, we are waiting for this next IGF. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Natalia. Any comments, questions, inputs from you? I hope that it will work as it is a few weeks of meetings. It seems like the ICANN strategy as taken by IGF too, but I hope that next year we will

be able to meet face-to-face. I will say first, for ICANN in Cancun, and then for IGF in Poland hopefully.

No comments, no questions? Okay, then let's go to next agenda item. It's updating the [inaudible] or the fiscal year 21 RALO discretionary funding to include virtual events. Heidi, you have the floor.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you very much, Sebastien. So, this is coming back from the previous regional leadership meeting where there was an action item that I draft some text for you to discuss based on the fiscal year 21 additional budget request [inaudible] text for the RALO discretionary funding that included some possibility of virtual meetings. And this is the text in the red. I'm going to read that in just a moment. It's this draft text that addresses some of the possible criteria for this. So again I'm going to go ahead and read this draft text. And again these are guidelines. This is not set in stone. Sylvia and I, in working with the GSE regional VPs, we will be looking at all of your requests coming in for this. So, here's the draft text.

“For virtual engagement events, the RALOs are strongly encouraged to focus funding on online activities that involve collaborative engagement activities that reach across more than one RALO. Funding requests are limited to hosts of virtual events for reimbursement on activities that facilitate and/or promote these events rather than reimbursement to users for access to online event. Additionally, requests will be considered to reimburse registration fees for virtual events.

So, that is the draft text and I'm conscious of the time, so I'm not sure, Sebastien, if you'd like to have the RALOs consider this and we can ... I've sent this on the mailing list, so I'm not sure if you want to delve into any kind of revision now or via email. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Heidi. I will open the floor. We will not dive into details of the [inaudible] but if there are some questions or comments, it will be welcome and then I guess the best way is to go through [inaudible] this document.

And what is important here, if I can underline—you have said it. But the question was is it something on purpose to have multiple RALO activities? And is what is underlined here. It seems that we were [inaudible] any CROP and discretionary funding just for one region and it was difficult when we were at the border with some countries, but now [inaudible] to have this type of work done and that will help the region from Eastern Europe and Western [inaudible] will help African and [inaudible] countries to work together in some other places, I am sure. Judith, you have the floor.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. I guess my question is that within NARALO, we are doing some ... Some of us are doing ... Some of us, in NARALO, are doing virtual events but there's outreach going on at the virtual events. So some of our ALSes have asked for funding to attendees and to do outreach at these events. So, will this wording prohibit them from doing that?

Because I wasn't clear on that and the wording is not clear on that, so I was just wondering if we can get some clarification on that because NARALO is a larger region, so our events, we only [inaudible] RALO activities we could have sometimes would be in the Caribbean as much to do outreach because some of the other sectors, like I know ISOC is moving the Anglo-Caribbean events to be part of the ISOC North America areas.

So, we're reshuffling them. Since we have a lot of ISOC chapters, there's going to be a lot of cross work but I'm just wondering about the current process we have with outreach at some virtual events. Thanks so much.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Judith. Heidi, you want to say something or do you want—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay, go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you. Thank you, Judith. You made complete sense on this. As I mentioned, Sylvia and I will be working with our GSE VPs on looking at and considering these sorts of events as well. So please, just

make a case for it. Fill in the application and we'll take a look at it. So, thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Heidi. Any other comments, questions? Satish, please go ahead.

SATISH BABU: Thank you, Sebastien. So, I see there are three categories of events which seem to be falling under these points one to six. The first is a local ALS program where an ALS has [inaudible] for its community. The second is a multi-ALS event, maybe all the ALSes in a country or region. And third is cross-RALO, which is point number six.

So, I hope that the first two categories are not prohibited and we encourage the cross-RALO events, just to clarify that. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Satish.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Satish. Yeah. Just to highlight all the text here in black was part—you all developed that pre-COVID. So the only new text here is that red text, point six under 2.0. And again, this just updates the criteria for the fiscal year 21 RALO discretionary funding approval text that does allow now reimbursement for virtual events. So that's the only new text right now. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, Heidi. But what Satish is underlining is that [inaudible] that something happened in one country or one RALO. We need to have just cross-RALO activities, if it's virtual. I think it was also part of the discussion we had last time. Before I give you back the floor, Heidi, I want to give the floor to Seun, please. Go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you. I think just [inaudible] what Satish was saying perhaps is similar to my question. Earlier, it's been said that ICANN is not going to be supporting, the budget is not going to be supporting physical meetings. But some countries have [inaudible] requirements which means some RALOs may be running [inaudible], of course some of which will allow the [inaudible]. So the question is this item six, does it exclude such efforts [inaudible] for the support from ICANN [inaudible]? Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Seun. Heidi, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, thank you. So, as noted, first to Satish, yeah, we will be considering single issue, single RALO events as well. If you have something that you'd like to hold, please apply for it and we'll go ahead and consider that.

On Seun's point, the current guidelines that ICANN had published include that up and through December 31st of this year, ICANN will not be supporting face-to-face. I'm assuming that they're going to be looking at the situation post that time and then we'll come back to that. But for the time being, again current guidelines state up through the end of the year 2020, it's only virtual. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Okay. Thank you, Heidi. Let's stop this discussion here but let's follow it online and we'll try to [inaudible] the draft text read here and review anything else in this document if the RALO leader wishes to do so.

Next item is [RALO] and future ICANN meeting strategy. [inaudible] in putting that in the agenda was to have a discussion with how you see the future. I know that there is a survey going on. Unfortunately, I am unable to open the survey and I don't know what is inside and what it's requested. It was done by ICANN Org and sent to and by the leader of SO/AC.

I just want to say that I feel it's a very top-down process and it's why I would like very much that we have this discussion on the RALO level of us, the RALOs, to see what could be our request.

And just to start the discussion, what we just discussed, the fact that ICANN Org have decided not to fund any face-to-face meeting. I think it's not a good way to go. They can decide not to send any staff in many places of the world and not traveling anymore. But if one country or one group of countries or one region meeting face-to-face

can be organized, I am sure that the people who will organize it will take anything needed to have it done safely. Therefore, if it could be organized, why not to be supported by ICANN?

And furthermore, to talk about future ICANN meeting strategy, I feel that the way we will be able to go out from the pandemic will not be to have a global meeting soon. But maybe we will be able to have some face-to-face meeting I will say at the level of one country or a group of countries or one region. We don't know how we'll be in the future, but if we take a few weeks ago, it's not anymore the case.

But the border opened in Europe anywhere to travel. It may come back, and if it happens that you can travel in your region but can't travel to another region, maybe a way to go will be to have some regional meeting. It could be at the same time or the same days, not to take into account the time or the hour of the day and we can try to build something with some face-to-face meeting, some virtual meeting with the other. It was just one idea to start the discussion but I really feel that we, at the RALO level, need to have this discussion and see what could be our input, not just individually with a single survey but also collectively at the RALO level. Thank you.

I will stop here. I wanted to do some work but I wasn't able to do it prior to send some document, but I don't know if I will have time. To do that in the future, I will.

Any comments, questions? I see some inputs here from the participants with some agreement. Anyone want to take the floor to add something?

Eduardo—and I will ask after Natalia to talk about what they have done in Russia for one specific event last week, the same time we have done the same in front but virtually. Eduardo, please go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Sebastien. I'm going to talk on my personal view. The pandemic, if it's still on, even if there is a regional face-to-face meeting, you have to get inside of [inaudible] most probably to get into an airplane which I'm not going to do. I'm not going to breathe everyone for many hours just to go off to a meeting.

So, face-to-face, okay, so whoever wants to go, but I will participate virtually until the pandemic is off. Having a pandemic on means it's still on. That's my personal opinion. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you, Eduardo. Natalia, do you want to take the floor? Then I will give the floor to Marita after.

NATALIA FILINA:

Thank you very much, Sebastien. I would like just to repeat. I fully agree with you and support this idea and I would like to put in our discussions example of the great debate about Internet in Russia last week.

We all understand the restrictions and difficulties together, people together. But the community and the volunteer community lives and works even if people have an opportunity to work together because

it's absolutely different level of debates, discussions, openness and, I don't know, a different opportunity to tell more, to figure out more and I hope we will come in some months to this solution for us. Thank you very much. And thank you very much for these days and all of the discussion, Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Natalia. Great. Marita, please go ahead.

MARTIA MOLL: I just wanted to share that a couple of weeks ago I tried to organize a small music event around here as the pandemic had a little bit died down. Took about two or three weeks of advance planning, and two days before the actual event, we were all shut down again. So it's really hard, really hard, and that's very discouraging to organize anything face-to-face even inside [inaudible].

I think we should think virtually right now, guys. We're doing pretty well, actually. I think it's pretty impressive the way we're managing these meetings and exchanging a lot of information. Every time, it's better and better.

But even thinking about doing anything on the ground, I have to say it doesn't look good from my end.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Marita. And just to be clear, the question is not to do it today or tomorrow. It's to do it when it will be possible and we will

decide when it will be. But the question is how we come back to some face-to-face meeting? Is it when everything is solved all around the world in 20 years or is it when it's solved in some parts of the world and we can start some face-to-face meeting?

But I get your point, [inaudible]. And what we are trying to discuss here is what happens when it is possible to have some face-to-face meetings. Sorry. Seun, please go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yeah. Thank you. I think you really touched on one of the things I wanted to say. I think one size does not fit all is the situation we are in with COVID now. The situation is how it affects various regions. It's becoming to be different, and of course for some regions, the economy [inaudible] open it up and a certain level of physical meetings are starting to be accommodated.

I, for instance, run a training session sometime recently. I've been staying within the certain rules of the government for participants and things like that.

So, I think we need to realize that across RALOs, the requirements are different so we need to also [inaudible]. It shouldn't just be only virtual. We need to be able to support. When people are able to run physical meetings, they know what the risk is and I'm sure they have already followed that protocol locally. And so there should be no reason why we shouldn't support such an initiative especially since

they are also working towards contributing their own part to ICANN.
Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Seun. Judith, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I want to say I also agree with Seun. In some areas, they're having meetings, so it's less of a problem. I agree that there shouldn't be an outright ban. But I also think coming together and doing networking and actually meeting is so important and that we should try to get some of this done as soon as we can. And if some regions can do it earlier than others, that would be fine and that we should support that.

I would love, as soon as possible, as soon as we can, to get back to face-to-face meetings. Here, in the US, we're not going to be able to do that for a while. But in other regions they could be able to do it and I don't think there's anything that should ... I think that we shouldn't just be held hostage to not using these outreach funds when that was the whole purpose, just because there's a global policy when some areas there's not.

Alfredo also pointed out to the issues of insurance. I think that is a different issue. But it's an important issue but it's not ... It may be more central later on but I think that the overall policy should be changed. Thanks.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Judith. Satish, please.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Sebastien. I also supported what has been said prior by Judith and Seun. In [inaudible] that is one country that's in New Zealand which has no COVID as of now, apparently. So just because we have a global policy it does not mean that if New Zealand [inaudible] ALS wants to do a program there that we should forbid such a thing.

The opening up of economies is going to take significantly long, maybe more than a year, so we have to be a little more flexible and not just have a policy by [inaudible].

My second point is, although I am not sure whether it will fit into the agenda. ICANN has opened up the support for Internet use. Now, I have no idea what has been the response, how has the community responded to that proposal or if that we in At-Large will get some information on that program and how it is [inaudible]. It may be useful for us to plan ahead. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Satish. I suggest that we put that as an action item to follow what you were asking for, [inaudible] action item for this meeting. Thank you. Thank you. Sergio, por favor. En Espanol. Vamos.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: You know you have to listen but you also need to mute your phone. Okay. So, I'm going to speak in Spanish.

I don't think that it is an option to get together Perhaps this may sound negative, but in my experience, I understand what the situation can be like in New Zealand but I think it is too early to say whether this situation will happen again if we will have a new outbreak.

Let's take France as an example or Argentina. We are quite in a difficult situation right now. But I do think that instead of thinking about getting together in person, in a place where perhaps now we don't know whether there will be any vaccine available that can provide us with some protection. Rather, we need to rethink that ICANN, we have to adapt to this new scenario.

I think that we need to reallocate the funds and I think that we need to start that discussion. The truth is that if we had to explain that we have to go on the Internet in order to get \$60 to pay Internet, where naturally many people in our organizations have no jobs at all because they cannot go to work because their companies have closed down, perhaps now it's time to start thinking what we can do with the money that used to be allocated to travel and now what we can use that.

Perhaps we can pay for the monthly Internet fee for all the people who are participating. I'm sure that it will be much cheaper. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: In English, and I want to get to the next item to keep the time, but there is a question in the chat and I will try to answer the question.

What is the timeframe covered by the future ICANN meeting strategy?
[inaudible] perspective.

I am sorry. When I put that as an item, it's of course not a short time. It's when we will be able to get out of part of this pandemic, what could be the strategy for the meeting? Do we need to wait for the end of everything and start again the same type of meeting that we have before the pandemic or do we want something in between? Or even do we want another type of meeting at all? That's what I meant to try to get out of the consideration. It's very important that everyone bring here short term but to try to get to see what could be happening. And I am not saying that it will happen in two weeks or in three months or in three years, but if and when it happens, what we can do.

I think it's a topic we will still have discussion once again. The link to the survey was put in the chat. Thank you. And you can use it and answer it. It's important that everyone of you participates in this debate.

As there are six minutes to go, I suggest to go [inaudible] previous end. Then I would like to ask you if you have any other business for this discussion. It's difficult to read all the inputs from the chat but thank you for your inputs. I hope that we will have time to read it after.

Okay, Jonathan, please go ahead.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, Sebastien. I know that I'm not a regional leader, so I don't want to take too much time. But I think until we really find a way to

improve our virtual meetings, there's no point in having a mix of virtual meetings alongside our face-to-face meetings because, right now, our virtual meetings are very similar to the Zoom calls that we have every week in between meetings.

So, until we really stretch to find a way to take advantage of the virtual formats, I think having virtual meetings are almost a waste of time because they're really no different than the calls that we're on every day.

So, I think if we want to capture the advantages of participation, we need to actually find a way to allow participation. That's just my thoughts here at 6:30 in the morning.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you, Jonathan. Thank you for your input. Any other before we end this meeting? Any final remarks from the chair of the RALOs? Okay, thank you.

The last item is the next call. Frankly, I have no idea. The second thing I guess we need to add is that I need to give over my chairmanship to my colleague from LACRALO as of next meeting will be in Cancun virtually. Maybe physically. No, I guess that Leon says it's clear that unfortunately we will not see the Caribbean sea and the Mexican border for a long time. I am so disappointed, so disappointed, because I wanted to go scuba diving last year and I will not go scuba diving this year. And Leon, you will miss your honey because I want to see you to give you your honey. It's still waiting for you here.

Sergio, you will be the next chair. Congratulations and you will do a great job. Anyone from staff can tell us when will be the next meeting or do we need to discuss that before deciding or we will do that by mail? I guess we can wait to the end of the IGF, at least I suggest, and we try to set up and do that for the after the IGF.

Leon, as you are here, you have two minutes. Do you want to say a few words to close the meeting? And you will be really the last one, too.

LEON SANCHEZ:

Thank you very much, Sebastien. As you know, I jumped in and jumped out and jumped in back again. You are right. The Board and Org haven't officially made a decision on Cancun but being on the ground locally, I can tell you that the situation is not easy in Mexico in terms of managing the pandemic, as I am sure it's not easy anywhere else. But believe me, my government hasn't done a good job in managing this.

So, I think it will be unlikely that we will be able to meet in Cancun because I anticipate that there will still be many hurdles to tackle before we are able to bring anyone safely and with proper health conditions to Mexico, at least in the timeline that we have for the Cancun meeting.

So, I definitely look forward to welcoming you as soon as possible in Mexico. Let's hope that we are able to continue to do our job in a more interactive and face-to-face fashion.

Thank you very much, Sebastien, and I will surely miss my honey. The good thing is that I think I will be doing some savings on honey. I will have a super [inaudible] of honey and I will take it back to [inaudible] at some point.

Thank you very much, everyone. And congratulations to Sergio for his chairmanship in the coming meetings. Thanks, everyone. It's been great to see you, at least virtually. I wish you all a very successful meeting.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay. Thank you very much, Leon. The meeting is adjourned. Bye-bye and thank you once again.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Gracias, Sebastien.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Thank you, all. Take care, everyone.

ADAM PEAKE: Thank you. Really interesting. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Bye, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]